GizmoGadget GPS watch for kids
|Product Name:||GizmoGadget GPS Watch|
|Device:||Digital Watch * Stop Watch * 2-way Phone * Text Messaging * Touch Screen * Water Resistant|
|App:||Geo-Fencing * Activity Tracker * School Mode|
|Deal:||US$ 25-110/month * US only * Verizon Only * 1 yr Warranty|
The GizmoGadget GPS watch is the bigger brother of the GizmoPal2. Both of these are tracking devices designed by the LG brand and exclusively associated with Verizon. This kids’ wearable is very popular among parents with primary school children (aged 6-12 years).
The GizmoGadget as well as the GizmoPal2 are both connected to the caregivers via the GizmoHub app which can be downloaded from the Google Playstore or the Apple App store.
The GizmoHub app allows the parent to track their child in real-time and also to set the GPS watch in school mode in order not to disturb teachers. Furthermore, parents can also use the App to set up digital fences (geo-fences) with notifications when the child enters or leaves these areas. Parents can monitor more than one Gizmo GPS watch from the same app.
This GPS watch features a customizable interactive touch screen, two-way communication between the child and any one of the 10 care givers via voice or text, activity tracker, listening-in functionality, to-do event notifications and much more.
The GizmoGadget needs to be connected to a Verizon contract which can be set up easily and cheaply ($5/month). However, this contract can be terminated at any time. It is important to note that none of the caregivers connected with this GPS watch via the GizmoHub app needs to be on the Verizon network.
We have done the research for you on the following features and functionalities:
GPS Watch Functionalities
Alarm Clock: No
Battery Life: Usage time is up to 2 hours and standby time is up to 8 days
Colors: Navy and red
Simply based on the look of tracking devices, some are much more discreet than others. The main purpose of personal tracking is to track the location of the wearer without strangers noticing it. In the case of a crime situation (for example, a kidnapping) a GPS watch would most definitely be removed immediately if recognized. Non-wearable tracking devices can be attached much more discreetly than wearables.
Entertainment: Yes, but no games to play.
- Voice changer. Your child can record his voice (up to 20s) and play it back in fun voices like a robot voice. (On the touch screen,swipe to the left and tap Voice Changer.)
- The child can change the sound on and off by swiping down from the top of the screen.
- Fun sounds. Tap the GizmoGadget display to hear sounds related to the each display theme.
The auto answer function(when enabled) enables the GizmoGadget to automatically answer after 10 seconds. This feature is very useful as a listening-in functionality whereby parents can listen-in to the child’s environment for up to 1 minute.
The GizmoGadget provides two-way voice communication with a dedicated call button and a choice of 7 different ring tones. A parent (primary caregiver) and any one of the 9 pre-programmed numbers (designated by the primary care giver) can phone the GPS watch. The child may also phone any one of 10 authorized phone numbers. The primary caregiver as well as the other 9 care givers have access to the GizmoGadget location through the GizmoHub.
SOS Button: No
Size: Quite a bulky watch.
Dimensions: 1.93″(length) x 1.49″(width)
Tamper Proof: No
In the case of young children, the elderly or special needs children a tamper-proof device would be most valuable. However, even though many Kids’ devices claim to be tamper-proof, they might just be slightly difficult to get off. The non-wearable tracking devices are normally more difficult to remove than the wearables. There are, however, some truly tamper-proof kids as well as adult tracking devices surfacing these days. So, if not tamper proof, then the GPS watch should at least alert the parent or care giver when it has been removed and preferably the last GPS coordinates when it has been removed.
Text Messaging: Yes, Quick Messaging , Check-In messaging (with location) and Read-out Loud Function.
- Read-out Loud Function can be enabled to have the GizmoGadget read aloud the display screen (text messsages).
- Check-in Messaging sends a message with your child’s location to the primary care giver. The child just needs to swipe up (from the touch screen) and press the ticked button.
- Quick Messaging refers to short messages which can contain emojis, voice clips or any of 9 preset messages.These preset messages can be customized by the parent (primary care giver) via the GizmoHub™ App. The parent as well as any of the 9 care givers can send short messages to the GizmoGadget via the GizmoHub™ App. Your child will see on the home screen when a message has been received.
Touch Screen: Yes, 1.3-inch interactive touch screen.
Tracking Range: Good
User Age: 6 – 12 years old (primary school children)
Labor : 1 Year and Parts : 1 Year
Watch Functionality: digital clock, timer and stop watch
The customizable watch face and display theme (together with the inter-changeable watch straps) ensure that the children can individualize their GPS watch – this is of course very age-appropriate.
Water Resistant: Yes
This Gizmo watch is water-resistant and has been tested to be IPX7 compliant. This means that you cannot operate the GPS watch under water, but if all covers are closed tightly, the device is protected against water ingress to a maximum of 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes.
App Name: GizmoHub™
Activity Tracker: Records steps (pedometer) and jump rope jumps
Compatibility: Android and iOS
The GizmoHub™ app can be downloaded onto parents smartphones running Android 4.0 or higher and iOS 7 or higher. Data usage applies for app download and use.
Parents can use the GizmoHub™ app to set GPS boundaries around the Gizmo device. The GPS watch will then send notifications to the parents (via the app) whenever the child crosses these pre-set boundaries. This is of course a great feature specifically for preschoolers who are very inquisitive and tend to wander off.
Historical Tracking: No
Low Battery Alert: Yes
The app sends a notification to parents when the GizmoGadget has low battery.
Parents (and any of the 9 care givers) can locate the GizmoGadget by tapping the Find icon on the GizmoHub™ App Home screen. Your child’s location will then be shown as a GPS position on a map. (It can take up to 3 minutes to locate your child). You can also set up other location features like scheduled location checks and place alerts. Remember that GPS location inside buildings will only be approximate or not at all depending on the signal strength.
The GizmoGadget GPS watch features to-do event notifications
Tamper Alert Alarm: No
School mode: Yes
The sounds can be turned off via the app during the school day. This functionality can be set in advance for certain times and days during the week from the GizmoHub™ .
Speed Tracking: No
Ease of set up and usage: Very Basic.
Setting up the watch and the GizmoHub™ app is very basic. The tracker itself is absolutely age-appropriate and primary school children love wearing this watch. They can easily manage operating it on their own.
Customer Support: Average
It seems from the reviews that LG is not very supportive with regards to issues related to the wrist band. They simply advise customers to buy a new wrist band.
International Usage: Only US
After you activated your GizmoGadget, you can add travel, international talk, text and data plans on My Verizon.The GizmoGadget might not work when you are travelling outside the US, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands.
User manual: GizmoGadget User-manual
Pros: Many features and functionalities offered.
- Most reviews on the GizmoGadget applaud the device.
- Most users give a positive report on all the features and functionalities of the GizmoGadget.
- Parents report that the GizmoGadget GPS watch (as with the GizmoPal2) is quite bulky, but the kids really like it.
- The many features of this device renders it a very good choice for a primary school child (also in cases when a phone might not be appropriate yet). Apart from the GPS tracking feature the charging of the device and the responsibility of owning technology is a brilliant introduction to owning a phone.
Cons: Verizon contract necessary
- Keep in mind that the only carrier you can use with the GizmoGadget is Verizon. However caregivers don’t need to be on Verizon contracts.
- Most reviews of unhappy clients are related to the wristband not being able to withstand rough handling or the clasp breaking. Keep this in mind when buying this tracking watch for your very active 10-year old boy. (see Accessories for a supplier of wrist bands.)